You are not signed in. Click here to sign in
Go back

National Court 9 January 2007
1. British Superkart Championship – Results Inquiry
2. Dean Parker & Martin Gange – Further Penalties
3. Matthew Pine – Appeal

British Superkart Championship – Results Inquiry
The Court overturned the results of the final, title-deciding round of the British Superkart Championship as declared at Silverstone circuit on 5 November. The Court`s decision means that Lee Harpham is confirmed as British Superkart Champion for 2006.

Harpham, the Court heard, had been leading the championship`s National class – although not the race outright – when the race was stopped early, on lap ten, because of a fatal accident to a fellow driver.

The results, though, were declared based on the positions at the end of lap eight, at which point Trevor Roberts had been ahead of Harpham. This had given Roberts the title as he and Harpham had gone into the final race tied on points.

But the Court heard that, in the case of race stoppages, the long circuit karting regulations applicable to the Superkart Championship state that “the order of finishing will be that at the end of the lap preceding the stopping of the race”. The outright race leader – in this case D1 class driver Stefan Malm – had completed his ninth lap on which Harpham, crucially, had overtaken Roberts.

Therefore, the Court decided that the results be declared at the end of lap nine, with Harpham classified ahead of Roberts – a result that gives Harpham the title.

The Court also reinstated drivers Carl Hulme and Gary Robinson in the race results. Evidence showed that a glitch with timing equipment had meant the majority of their racing laps had been accidentally omitted from the results.

Dean Parker & Martin Gange – Further Penalties
The Court suspended Rotax Max competitor Dean Parker from national and international competition for five years after he was found guilty of physically assaulting fellow driver Martin Gange at a race meeting at the Glan y Gors Park circuit in Conwy, Wales on 17 September 2006. Gange was also suspended for 12 months for his part in the incident.

Both drivers had already had their licences endorsed and had been ordered to pay £100 fines earlier during the meeting, after an altercation that followed their third race. But another disagreement then led to Parker striking Gange who required hospital treatment for his injuries.

Court Chairman David Munro said that Parker`s actions were “wholly unacceptable” and that “such conduct will not be tolerated.”

Further to his suspension, Parker was ordered to pay £500 in costs.

Gange, who admitted to the charge of “verbal abuse”, was suspended from national competition until 31 December 2007 as a result of his actions at Glan y Gors. He had previously been before the Court in August for a serious assault at which time he had received a suspended 30-day suspension. The Court ordered that the previously suspended period of 30 days be invoked to run concurrently.

Gange was ordered to pay £250 in costs.

Matthew Pine – Appeal
The Court upheld an appeal by competitor Matthew Pine against his exclusion from the results of a Cornwall and Devon Land Rover Club trial on 26 November.

Pine had been excluded by officials for allegedly using illegal suspension on his vehicle.

But the Court agreed that the technical regulations were unclear and reinstated Pine in the results. Pine`s appeal fee was thus returned.